A. EMERGENCY EVACUATION OF A CAMPUS BUILDING
1. Evacuate whenever a fire alarm sounds, the
Building Emergency Coordinator or senior staff
member on site will inform you to evacuate.
Personnel should ensure other building occupants
are aware of the evacuation request and help all
building occupants to leave.
2. Stop what you are doing and walk, do not run,
to the nearest stairwell and proceed down the
stairwell to the first floor, and from the first
floor to the designated safe area for your
group. If you are working in an area away from
your regular work station, follow the
instructions of the coordinator for the area in
which you are working when you learn of the
emergency. Do not attempt to return to your
regular work area if an emergency is announced.
3. Do not use elevators in any emergency
4. Take personal belongings, such as purse,
coat, and car keys if they are within easy reach
and can be collected quickly.
5. Office doors should be closed but not locked
when personnel exit.
6. Listen to instructions from work area leaders
and area coordinators or those provided via the
public address system. Follow these
7. Regroup with your co-workers or classmates in
the designated safe area for accountability.
Because of the possibility of flammables, do not
smoke in designated safe areas until the "All
Clear" notice is received.
8. Do not re-enter the building until the "All
Clear" signal is announced by University Police
9. Return to your work area via stairwells.