Pro Bono Mission Statement
The mission of the Southern University Law Center Pro Bono Project is to provide students high-quality, academically-enriching opportunities for practical experience in the legal profession. The Pro Bono Project will provide valuable work at no cost to individuals in need in furtherance of the Law Center’s mission.
Benefits to SULC:
- This level of involvement will instill a sense of professional responsibility early on in a student’s career.
- Students who participate in volunteer work will stand out from their peers without this experience.
- Students will develop an awareness of the needs of others and a greater understanding of the crucial roles attorneys play and the societal contributions they make.
- Students will be able to gain professional experience in the legal field to further enhance their resumes as well as strengthen their contacts to the community.
- The Pro Bono Project will also substantially contribute to students’ legal education.
- The work students complete in the classroom will take on a whole new meaning. Volunteer work will allow students’ legal education to become more interesting, relevant, and meaningful.
- Students will also be reminded of the original reason why they chose to attend law school and become engaged in the community.
- In addition to gaining important skills, students will be exposed to various areas of the law at a more in-depth level.
- Not only will students develop and enhance legal practice skills but they may be exposed to both career and advocacy opportunities.
- Students will gain confidence by working among a diverse population while strengthening their ties to the community.
- Students will achieve personal fulfillment by giving back to those less fortunate in society.
- See Tab “A” Everything You Wanted to Know About Law School Pro Bono But Were Afraid to Ask…