Damian M. Biondo
Visitor Professor of Law
- (225) 771-4900
Professor Biondo comes to Southern University Law Center as a seasoned practitioner with over twenty years of experience in every facet of U.S. intellectual-property (IP) law. His areas of expertise include:
- patent and trademark application preparation and prosecution;
- IP litigation and counselling;
- appeal, inter-partes review, and covered business method review proceedings the U.S. Patent Trial & Appeal Board (PTAB);
- appeal, opposition, and cancellation proceedings before the U.S. Trademark Trial & Appeal Board (TTAB);
- strategic patent portfolio development and licensing,
- copyright counselling and art law; and
- data privacy rights.
He brings to Southern University law students a set of diverse perspectives on the legal profession having worked in a wide range of professional settings including the Manhattan office of a 500-attorney international law firm, in-house at a technology start-up, as Of Counsel to an elite IP boutique, and as a solo practitioner.
His primary teaching focus is patent law, trademark law, copyright law, and data privacy. He also teaches first year courses in the common-law curriculum and upper division electives as needed.
Turning his attention to academic pursuits full-time upon joining Southern University Law Center, his developing research agenda focusses on the intersections of technology, law, and society.
He holds a law degree from the Georgetown University Law Center and two bachelor’s degrees—one from the University of California, Santa Cruz, in philosophy, and another from the University of Maryland Global Campus, in computer science.