Peter Kochenburger is a visiting professor of law at Southern University Law Center. Prior to coming to SULC he was an associate clinical professor of law at the University of Connecticut School of Law, and executive director of the Insurance Law LLM program, and the Insurance Law Center. He teaches Torts and various insurance law and regulation courses. He has published in the areas of consumer protection, Big Data and insurance regulation, liability insurance and gun ownership, and climate change and insurance. He is a funded Consumer Representative to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, appointed to the Treasury Department’s Federal Advisory Committee on Insurance in January 2020, and to the Federal Reserve Board’s Insurance Policy Advisory Committee in January 2022. He also serves on the New York DFS Consumer Protection Task Force, and is a consumer stakeholder with the International Association of Insurance Supervisors. Professor Kochenburger was elected to the American Law Institute in 2013, and is a graduate of Yale University and Harvard Law School.
Before joining the faculty, Kochenburger was counsel at Travelers Property Casualty for 11 years, managing significant coverage and bad faith litigation, as well as legislative and regulatory affairs. He also served as an assistant attorney general in the Consumer Protection Division of Iowa’s Department of Justice, where he enforced state and federal consumer credit laws and led litigation nationwide against several of the country’s largest financial services companies. From 1986 to 1988 he served as special assistant to the dean of Harvard Law School.
Peter Kochenburger Publications
- _THE “DEMATERIALIZED” INSURANCE: DISTANCE SELLING AND CYBER RISKS FROM AN INTERNATIONAL PERSPECTIVE (Peter Kochenburger, Pierpaolo Marano & Ioannis Rokas eds., 2016)
Law Review Articles and Book Chapters
- _Aviva Abramovsky & Peter Kochenburger, Transparency and the Insurance Contract in the United States, in 2 TRANSPARENCY IN INSURANCE LAW AND REGULATION 683 (Pierpaolo Marano & Kyriaki Noussia eds., 2020)
- _Aviva Abramovsky & Peter Kochenburger, Insurance Online: Regulation and Consumer Protection in a Cyber World, in THE “DEMATERIALIZED” INSURANCE 117 (Peter Kochenburger, Pierpaolo Marano & Ioannis Rokas eds., 2016)
- _Peter Kochenburger, Liability Insurance and Gun Violence, 46 CONN. L. REV. 1265 (2014) http://opencommons.uconn.edu/law_papers/226
- _Peter Kochenburger & Joseph MacDougald, Insurance and Climate Change, 47 J. MARSHALL L. REV. 101 (2013) http://opencommons.uconn.edu/law_papers/475
- _Peter Kochenburger & Patrick Salve, An Introduction to Insurance Regulation, in RESEARCH HANDBOOK ON INTERNATIONAL INSURANCE LAW AND REGULATION 221 (Julian Burling & Kevin Lazarus eds., 2012) (updated edition will come out in late 2022).
- _Peter Kochenburger, The Language Matters: Regulation of Insurance Policy Terms and Conditions, in CHALLENGES IN HARMONIZATION OF THE SERBIAN INSURANCE LAW WITH THE EUROPEAN (EU) INSURANCE LAW (Association for Insurance Law of Serbia, April 2012)
- _Amy Bach & Peter Kochenburger, Insurance Consumer Protection Efforts by Government Regulators: Evolving under Scrutiny, 13 N.Y. ST. B.A. GOV’T L. & POL’Y J. 16 (2011)
- _Peter Kochenburger, Richean Zhiyan Li & Pierpaolo Marano, Conflict of Interest of Insurance Brokers, 2010 EUR. INSUR. L. REV. 21 (2010)
Short Articles (2022)
- Peter Kochenburger, Jeffrey Stempel & Erik Knutsen, Covid Coverage Cases Conflict With Insurer Documentation Law360 (published May 24, 2022)
- Peter Kochenburger, The Insurance Industry’s Growing Potential Role in Gun Safety, Law360 (published May 14, 2022)
- Peter Kochenburger & Jeffrey Stempel, How Sonic Boom Risk Informs ‘Physical Loss’ For COVID Era, Law360 (published April 5, 2022)