How to Apply for Financial Aid
Applying For Financial Aid
To receive financial aid at the Southern University Law Center, you should follow the below steps annually.
- Complete Your FAFSA
To be eligible for financial assistance in government-funded programs, all students must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) annually at https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa and meet the general eligibility requirements.
Federal School Code 002025.
2. Complete Requirements
Ensure you have completed your Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note at www.studentaid.gov and satisfied all requirements. If you are a returning student and completed a Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling for a previous award year, you do not have to complete these forms again. Promissory notes should not expire for 10 years. (Endorsed Graduate PLUS applications require a new promissory note.)
3. Review your Awards Package
Access Banner from the SULC website to review and accept or decline your terms & conditions and loan awards.
User ID: U0xxxxxxx (found on your award notification)
PIN: first 4 letters of your last name in lower case and last 4 digits of your U# (default)
– Click “Financial Aid” Tab
– Click “Award”
– Click “Award for Aid Year”
– Click “2023-2024” (or applicable year) and then “Submit”
– Click “Resources/Additional Information” Tab.
– Read the Electronic Consent and select your choice
- Read the Title IV Authorization to Pay Prior Year Charges and select your choice
– Read the Title IV Authorization to Pay Non-Institutional Charges and select your choice
- Click “Terms and Conditions” Tab
– Read and Click Accept (at the bottom)
– Click “Accept Award Offer”
– To accept loans, click ‘Accept’ in the side box. If declining loans, click ‘Decline’.
– To accept all awards, click “Accept Full Amount of All Awards”.
– If declining awards, click “Submit Decision”.
All law students are awarded up to $20,500 in a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan, based on eligibility. To reduce your award, please complete the SULC Federal Direct Loans Acceptance/Loan Adjustment From, available under financial aid forms.
4. Apply for Additional Financial Aid.
To cover additional expenses, you may apply for a Graduate PLUS Loan. To apply for a Graduate PLUS Loan, complete the credit application online at www.studentaid.gov. After receiving your approval, please accept your award by completing the SULC Federal Direct Loans Acceptance/Loan Adjustment Form available under financial aid forms.
Please note that the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan:
– requires a Graduate PLUS Master Promissory Note
– will be awarded up to your cost of attendance, less any other aid.
Please ensure your mailing address and email address are current at all times using Banner Self Service.